As I've been working through my Wiltshire series I've been working on a couple of improvements to my workflow. The first is about using black and white to work on tonal adjustments (as I mentioned here) the second is a more refined local enhancement. The latter is revealing more detail in images and yielding some that require no output sharpening at all. I'll probably go into more detail in this at another time.
As for now, I decided to go back to one of my favourite shots of the last 12 months but one that did not print well.
Here is the original I created. Too dark, a lot of detail lost and a really disappointing print. I do, however, really like the subject and composition.
So I decided to put my new workflow to the test, including more advanced sharpening. Here is the result.
This is much improved, it enlarges well, retains far more detail and should result in a great print even at 18".