Thursday 8 May 2008

Projects and philosophy

Philosophy:
n: Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.
n: the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

In my last post I alluded to the thought process through which my SoFoBoMo book is leading me. I was also struck in reading Paul Butzi's book as to the wider thinking his project had seemed to lead him through.

All this thought, all these projects.

Focussing the mind on a single photographic objective (but it needn't be photographic) seems to be a way to allow the mind to consider wider issues. Personally, my mind seems to need to do a certain amount of thinking. If I'm focussing efforts on a narrow subject, I have space to think about the wider implications, connections, search for other meaning in what I'm doing. I find this at work, too. Currently I'm going through some very focussed engineering analysis which leads me to think about its consequence and cause much clearer.

I also like the way that photography by project clears my mind of thinking of the act of making pictures or finding subjects - my mind isn't wandering around looking for subjects, it is thinking about the implications of the subject at hand. For SoFoBoMo, this is leading to a much deeper personal journey that I had at first imagined.

1 comment:

  1. One of the great satisfactions in reading is coming upon a few paragraphs that cause me to think, "That matches exactly my experience!" And, I am grateful to the writer for putting into words what I felt but hadn't been able to clearly articulate. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, especially constructive ones.
Comments get emailed directly to me before publishing , so if you want to get in touch drop a comment.
All comments moderated by me before being published, keeps the spam at bay.