Friday 18 April 2008

SoFoBoMo: day the first

Today was the first day of my own SoFoBoMo efforts. I've held off writing it up until I had dinner put together the first image. Reason for holding off: I was not feeling good about things when I got back from the first shooting effort. Nothing was going well, the photos were rubbish, I was rubbish, the idea was rubbish... you get the idea.

Now I've actually gone through the motions of putting together a single page image, I feel better.

I'm one of those learning some new stuff into the bargain. It's not very often I go out with a single shooting intent, and that will take some getting used to. Plus I'm learning some things about cropping, resizing and page layout that never crossed my mind when I first thought of presenting my book as diptychs. There's a lot of fiddling to get the pairs to layout across the intended width with the correct spacing and heights.

So, what's the theme? I hear you all cry (or maybe that's just the voices in my head).

The title: "A place to call home", which is all about the ways people individualise their houses to make them home. Around the city, and many other places, houses fall into rows/developments of (near) identical buildings yet they can often be personally identified. The idea is to show pairs with the building context (wide) and the personal touch (up close).

It's a new idea, and holds little risk in the SoFoBoMo context if it all fails miserably. I just hope I can take enough decent frames to put 35 together in the next 30 days.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of trying to define a 'place' using the diptychs to help with the meaning and create a context. nice. Interestingly, it is similar idea to what I am going to try to do with my SoFoBoMo project. I want use two different images of the same location and place them on facing pages of the spread. Then have 17 paired images to try and define a certain area/region.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, especially constructive ones.
Comments get emailed directly to me before publishing , so if you want to get in touch drop a comment.
All comments moderated by me before being published, keeps the spam at bay.