Monday 21 April 2008

B&W film recommendations?

I've been busy going through the latest batch of HP5+ scans and realise that it's not quite the all-purpose film I was hoping it was. It's great low light (of course) and I really like it for people photography but I also need something else.

So, any recommendations for a film for these needs (all together): daylight, landscape, wide angle, detail?

There's a whole bunch of slower films around, so what's a decent choice for my needs? I can pretty much get anything locally, so I'm sort of spoilt for choice.

3 comments:

  1. daylight, landscape, detail ... sounds like Delta 100 to me. But really, any of the slower and more modern films would probably fit the bill.

    Mixing HP5 with Delta 100 is a solution that a number of people have hit on.

    http://www.1point4photography.com/blog/delta-100-a-few-thoughts/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tri-X has been my all-purpose black and white film since the first time I tried it several years ago. I also came from HP5 Plus, which I don't like as much as Tri-X. I develop in D-76 for regular exposures and Microphen for pushed rolls.

    P.S. I have been trying to get in touch with you about Gitzo tripods, but I can't find an e-mail address or contact form anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I'll take a look but I don't really think Tri-X will do what I'm looking for.

    As for contact, drop a comment on any post with your email (I won't publish it) & I can contact you.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, especially constructive ones.
Comments get emailed directly to me before publishing , so if you want to get in touch drop a comment.
All comments moderated by me before being published, keeps the spam at bay.