Thursday 5 March 2009

Work: a four letter word

I love my job, I hate going to work. Seemingly conflicting statements, and apparently little to do with photography. Let me elaborate.

It follows from the recent discussions on the whole idea of projects, productivity and such sparked by the announcement of SoFoBoMo 2009. It seems fairly well agreed that to achieve good results over a longer body of work, getting out there and putting in some effort is required. Completing a project requires a certain amount of drudgery. to finish off the photobook, there's all the final formatting, proofing, sequencing and assembly. Not exciting stuff. This is all going to work to me - the routine efforts of dragging yourself to the coalface.

The job of photography is the exciting, creative part. The ideas, seeing new things, out in the field pressing the shutter. Just as I love the creative, novel, ideas part of my daily job, so too do I enjoy those aspects of photography.

Unfortunately, I don't think one can have true satisfaction without getting things finished, passing the job and completing the work. Like Edison said:

Genius - 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting, this kind of thinking is the same that goes into many things, like running that I do a lot. Found your blog through sofobomo, btw. I'm sure I will be able to finnish this project and experience this satisfaction, I just have to come up with a good theme first... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and like my cycling...

    Glad to have you along, hope you like what you read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the photographic version:

    Photography is 1% inspiration and 99% moving furniture - Arnold Newman

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, especially constructive ones.
Comments get emailed directly to me before publishing , so if you want to get in touch drop a comment.
All comments moderated by me before being published, keeps the spam at bay.