Saturday 17 November 2007

Handy hint for new Gitzo tripods

After I reviewed and field tested the Gitzo 3540LS tripod, I came across a minor issue with the new ALR & gravity lock system. Sometimes, when setting up the tripod, the joints don't quite lock in completely. Partly, I think, this is due to the fact that the legs can be locked effectively without screwing down the locks tightly. This is where the gravity lock comes in. The gravity lock system is an internal wedge design that stiffens the joint as weight is applied.

My routine now has me lean on the top plate after erecting just before I mount the camera. This locks the legs in securely (doesn't seem to affect unlocking force required) with much lower vibration. I'd recommend this to anyone using the new leg system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments, especially constructive ones.
Comments get emailed directly to me before publishing , so if you want to get in touch drop a comment.
All comments moderated by me before being published, keeps the spam at bay.