Thursday 1 January 2009

A lack of resolution

Happy New Year to all. No resolutions from me, I don't do them. In fact, it's just another day.

Thank goodness for Kjell's perspective and the subsequent postings from Paul Butzi and Colin Jago. I read a few posts elsewhere recently that gave numbers on frames taken over the year. I'm not going to count or publicise mine - they'd be embarrassingly low. I have shot a lot of film this year, which sees my frame rate drop by a factor of about four (i.e. I shoot a quarter the frames with film as I would otherwise do with digital). But I still shoot relatively little. But it's not about quantity, it's all about quality. And about pulling it together in a way that makes sense to me. I am shooting less of the singular and more groups, series and projects.

In that respect, I'm very happy. I feel I'm getting consistently better results - the "just missed the cut" this year are better than some of the best of last (the bad are always horrid). I'm developing more consistent approaches to given subjects (something approaching a "style") and I'm having a lot of fun with a camera in hand. This last is by far the most important.

On the blog front, I seem to be getting a steady stream of regulars. Thanks to you especially - it seems to make all the blathering worthwhile. Not that all the other readers aren't welcome, of course.

1 comment:

  1. "I'm not going to count or publicise mine - they'd be embarrassingly low"

    Why would that be? Who cares how many shots you took. I published mine for ... me. I like to look back through my blog as sort of a diary of what I did and what I was thinking at a point in time.

    I try to shoot something every day, but am not always successful, so I take a lot of pictures. If seen that over the years my frame count has fallen, per outing. When I first got my digital camera, I would take 300-500 at an outing! Now, generally I'll come back with 60 - 80, perhaps.

    My picture count is inflated by basketball photos, of which I may take 800 at a very interesting game and I like to photograph about 10 or 12 games/year, all of my son's team. :-) So, in reality, I guess that I'd say that I take about 4 or 5 thousand/year.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, especially constructive ones.
Comments get emailed directly to me before publishing , so if you want to get in touch drop a comment.
All comments moderated by me before being published, keeps the spam at bay.